The first part of the patient visit process takes place when the patient calls to make an appointment with the physician; therefore, the first part of your assignment is to schedule the appointments.
SEE THE “REMINDERS” IN THE WORKBOOK!
Following are the page numbers for each Appointment list:
| Rocky Shore, pg 7 || West Point, pg 7 || Crown Valley, pg 7|| Sunset Springs, pg 9|
| Maple Hills, pg 9|| Hidden Cities, pg 9|| Prime Smile, pg 7||Harbor Lake, pg 7|
|Cherry Hills, pg 7 || || || |
Select the Scheduler icon to schedule the patient appointments.
Four Steps to Schedule an Appointment
1. Select the proper appointment date.
Below is an example of how the scheduler looks when you first access it. To begin, 1. locate the calendar on the left and select the
month, date, and year; and then 2. click the Retrieve Appointments button.
You may also change the Time Slot Size of appointments by clicking on the Options button.
2. Determine in which column your appointment needs to be scheduled.
The date of appointment you just retrieved, will now display below the resources (titles of the columns). Resources are the columns
that appear on the scheduler from left to right. Be sure to review the appointment list and schedule according to the resource
required for the appointment. Resources can be many things, including provider, specialty, room, equipment, or just date of
appointment. For example, the resources for Rocky Shore are the specialties (i.e. Chiropractic, Dermatology, Pediatrics, and Primary
3. Select the time and appointment type
Once you have located the correct Resource column and the time for the appointment, right-click in the appropriate time slot. To
the right, a box displays for you to click, Add Appointment for… , and a subsequent box will display to select the appointment type.
Choose the corresponding type based on the information provided on your appointment list.
4. Complete the New Appointment screen (1 Appointment tab and 2 Patient tab).
A. Once the 1 Appointment tab opens, verify the Appointment Date, Time, and Length fields to ensure they match your
assignment. Then select the Type of appointment if you have not already done so. Finally, click the New Patient button.
B. Now, go to 2 Patient tab, enter in the patient’s Last name and First; then click the Save button.
C. You will receive the following message indicating the information is incomplete. Because you do not have the patient’s
address to enter, click the Save Patient as Incomplete button to continue. You will complete the patient’s address when you
complete the patient registration process within the next section of the workbook .
The main scheduling screen displays where you can verify the appointment has been scheduled.
To continue with scheduling the rest of your patient’s appointments, if it is the same date of service, simply continue by selecting the correct time field. If you are selecting a different date, be sure to use the calendar to select and retrieve the new date.
Schedule a Follow-up Visit
In the West Point section, you will be assigned to schedule follow-up appointments. Follow the three steps after the initial appointment has been made:
1. Right-click on the patient’s name in the schedule. Select Schedule Follow-up. (It will look as though nothing happens).
2. Right-click on another blank time slot (any time slot) and select Schedule follow-up on (date and time will list).
3. A confirmation window will display the details of the follow-up appointment. Click to Continue or Cancel.
Block Time in the Schedule
To block time in the schedule for lunches, events, activities, meetings, etc., follow this five-step sequence.
1. Retrieve the date on the calendar in which you want to create a block of time.
2. Click on the space after the time, you wish to block. Right-click with the mouse and the menu of options will drop down.
3. Select Add Block.
4. The New Block screen will display. You must make sure all the fields are correct. Check the Date, Time, Length of block, Type, and any comments. Click the Save button.
5. Verify the block is correct.
Print the Schedule
In order to print the appointments that have been scheduled, click the 2 Search tab.
1. To print all appointments scheduled, change the Range to “All.”
2. After the date range is selected to All, click the Search button and your results will display.
3. To print the appointment results, click the Print button.
Practice Revenue Cycle Activities: Patient Registration and Visit
The practice revenue cycle activities are a combination of discussion questions and activities using ClaimGear and its workbook .
It is important to understand that strategic appointment planning is a key essential to any practice. After you have scheduled the
required appointments, complete the following tasks to further enhance your revenue cycle experience as it relates to your
1. Were there overlapping of appointments per provider or resource? Would this work in this clinic?
2. When scheduling a new patient, what information do you think is important to gather over the phone?
a. How would this impact the patient entry process?
3. From the existing appointments scheduled, right-click on one and a menu will display with several functions to perform.
a. Schedule a follow-up appointment; determine and schedule some patients a follow-up appointment based on the
b. Reschedule a canceled or no-show appointment.
c. Create a block of time for each scenario: daily lunch from 12-1pm; office staff meeting; pharm rep visit; holiday.
4. Generate details of appointments scheduled under 2 Search tab, select Appointment Date Range to All, and click on the
Search button. By clicking on the column header, you can organize the data numerically/alphabetically.
a. What type of appointment had the most appointments?
b. What type of appointment had the least appointments?
c. Was there a busier time of the day than the other?
5. How do you see the ClaimGear
appointment scheduler being an advantage with it being online?
6. When an existing patient calls to schedule an appointment, how do you select that patient instead of creating a new account?