After scheduling the appointments, the next part of your assignment is completing the Patient Registrations.
Following are the page numbers for each Patient Registration section:
West Point pg 287
Add: Use to add a new patient into the system. If you did not schedule a specific patient an appointment, then Add them here.
Find: Use to find a patient who is already in the system. If you scheduled the patient an appointment, click the Find button.
Open Active Patient: The name of the last patient you have opened or saved displays on the top blue bar. Clicking the Open Active Patient button will open the patient listed in the top blue bar. This eliminates searching for the last patient used.
Export: Not applicable.
Review the Tabs
2. Insured: Enter insured’s personal and employer information and payer(s) information. This is also the Primary Insured’s tab, and is entered in Payer 1 fields. If the same primary insured also holds the secondary insurance, complete that information here, in Payer 2 fields.
3. Other Insured: Enter in any other insured’s personal and employer information and payer information. This Other Insured tab does not include the primary insurance; only the secondary.
4. Misc. Info: Enter in the Date of Injury/Onset/Illness if given on the patient registration form. Also select B to update claims when changes have been made on the Insured or Other Insured tabs.
5. Activity: Transaction activity of the patient.
6. Eligibility: Not applicable.
7. Appointments: View the listing and status of patients’ appointments.
8. Documents: Not applicable.
9. Messages: Not applicable.
Find an Existing Patient
If you have already scheduled this patient an appointment, you have added minimal patient information into the ClaimGear database and you need to Find this patient’s account.
When you click the Find button, the Patient Selection Window displays. You can enter the partial or full last name in the Patient Last Name field. In addition, you can enter the patient’s first name. Now click the Search button.
If you get a message stating “No patients were found,” this indicates:
2. The patient name was spelled incorrectly while scheduling the appointment;
Or, the Patient Search window will display for you to select the desired patient by clicking on the corresponding line item.
REMEMBER: DO NOT USE ANY COMMAS ( , ) OR PERIODS ( . ) IN PATIENT –F2. The purpose is to transfer the information from your patient registration form into ClaimGear completely and correctly.
Here you can initially set defaults that will transfer to the Claim tab. Complete the fields for Marital Status, Employed Status, and Student Status.
Select the provider that is circled at the top of the patient registration form by clicking the Set Provider button.
Select the Set Referring/PCP button to default this provider. If this physician is not listed in the database, see the chapter “Add Referring and Primary Care Physicians."
2 Insured Tab
After you have completed the patient’s information under the 1 Patient tab, complete the 2 Insured tab, beginning with the “Patient relationship to the insured?” The Insured’s Account # field will auto-fill. Remember, the insured is the person who holds the insurance. Also, complete the Payers and Employer tabs (Insurance Tracking is not necessary for this exercise.
Definition: Payer 2: Strictly for secondary insurance by the same insured as the primary (the person listed on this screen).
New Payer: To quickly add a payer to the database, click this button. See the section “Add a New Payer into ClaimGear” (page 39) for details on completing this information.
Find Payer: To view a list of the payers in the database, click this button. If the desired payer’s name displays, click on the payer name and it will populate in Payer 1 and 2 field. If your payer is not listed, close the payer window and click the New Payer button.
View Payer: To view the basic information (payer name and address), click this button.
Clear: If you have selected a payer and you need to clear it to reselect it, click this button.
Check Ins: Not applicable.
Ins. Card: Not applicable.
Add a New Payer into ClaimGear
If adding a New Payer this screen will display. Be sure to add this payer manually. Complete the Payer Name, Address, City, State, and Zip code. Click the SAVE button.
3 Other Insured tab: Secondary insurance holder that is not the same as the primary insurance holder. This screen should be completed with all information your workbook contains for the patient’s secondary insurance plan. The information needed to complete this screen is: Insured information, Employed Status, Employer Name and address, and Payer 3 fields. If your payer is not listed in the database, click the New Payer button and see page 96 for directions.
The most common fields to complete in this tab are:
1. O B (Check B): if you updated any insurance/payer information on 2 Insured tab or 3 Other Insured tab.
2. Accident/Illness information: The date, accident type, and state abbreviations.